Sunday, June 05, 2005

Getting Personal

My son, who's twenty-two and knows a lot more about this blogging business than I do, has informed me that people like to read about personal details in blogs. I guess it's kind of like fiction books--we want to know all about the characters, what makes them tick. We want to care about those characters, become personally involved with them. So this is my "personal" entry . . . Hmmm . . . The problem is, my life is very ordinary. I feel very much like MaryJanice Davidson when she said on our group blog (http://outoftheblogosphere.blogspot.com/) "I ain't got nothin". MJ's most interesting event that day was drinking a new brand of orange juice. I think most writers spend their time, well, writing. And many writers also tend to be introverts, so they're generally not attending wild parties and/or orgies. Granted, some of the members of Out of the Blogosphere are adventurous, energetic, and very creative in how they live their lives. But me, I work in accounting in my day job (no creativity there--the government frowns heavily on creativity in accounting and taxes!), and then I come home and write. That's pretty much it (outside of herding cats and dogs and hanging out with my husband).

However, I do get to visit exotic other worlds, lust after hunky alpha males (some of them a little . . . alien), and vicariously experience magnificent adventures, all through my writing or through the books of the many wonderful authors out there. But then I shut down the computer or close the book and return to my ordinary world. I'm not complaining, mind you. Life is good and I've been very blessed. It's just that when it comes to reporting interesting stuff in my blog, there's just not much to tell. I will make a deal, though. If anything exciting or interesting does happen, I'll be sure to "blog it" here. And, as a matter of fact, on June 7, I'll be talking about Marianne Mancusi's very cool (and exciting!) book, "A Connecticut Fashionista In King Arthur's Court", which is now at a bookstore near you. Until then, here's wishing you some excitement!

4 comments:

Gena Showalter said...

I feel the same way sometimes, Cathy! I'm a homebody who rarely ventures out. Usually the most exciting thing to happen in my life is when I decide to mix the dry dog food with the canned stuff. It's a Dog Gone Wild party. Oh, oh, there's the time I walked out of a bathroom with toilet paper on my shoe. Let the good times. . . roll LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm with you both. I'm actually looking forward to posting a laundry list of what I put in my veggie garden. Woohoo.

Rock on, ladies!

CATHERINE SPANGLER said...

Hey Gena and CJ! Thanks for checking in. Gena, LOL on Dogs Gone Wild. CJ, veggie gardens can be interesting (can't they?). Well, it's nice to know I'm not the only author out there who's living on the (un)wild side! ~ Cathy

Deidre Knight said...

Hey, Catherine:
I went into the driveway and photographed my mammoth hydrangea bushes last night expressly for the purpose of blog posting. And I'm getting requests to post pics of my new shoes. Anything is an adventure so long as we deem it so!

:) D